Friday, June 10, 2016



Hawaii Photographic Society June Meeting Announcement

Place: Makiki Recreational Park, 1527 Keeaumoku Street, Administration Building
Date: June 14, 2016 Tuesday, 6:00 – 8:00p.m.
Meeting: Second Quarterly Photography Print Contest / Special Image Sharing by:
Bob Trinka, Shun Wah Wong, Cora Ushijima, Stan Oka, and Ryan Sakamoto

Bio:
Bob Trinka, Since retiring I have been able to devote much of my time behind the camera as well as traveling to many interesting places. It has been a continuous learning process that has improved my ability as a photographer.
***
Shun Wah Wong is a System Analyst by day. She took up photography seriously when she signed up for the beginning photography class at Kaimuki Adult Ed.  She's always loved looking at anyone's trip photos but her enthusiasm for photography really grew ever since picking up her first digital camera, a canon S45 point and shoot. Since then, she's upgraded to DSLR, then to the recent purchase of a Canon 6D. Because her job requires mostly left brain thinking, photography has allowed her to stretch her right brain thinking.
***
Cora Ushijima has enjoyed taking photographs of family and friends since she was in high school.  She enjoys photographing memorable events and turning them into slideshows that can be enjoyed throughout the years.  “Catching a special moment comes at the least expected time so you will hardly ever find me without a camera."  Her favorite things to shoot are birthdays, graduations, weddings and places she visits.
Title: Paris, Switzerland, Rome and Venice
***
Stan Oka, While growing up on the island of Maui, Stan spent much of his time interacting in his natural surroundings.  This included hiking in the forest or coastal areas, snorkeling, and studying about Hawaii’s natural history.  This is reflected in his lifelong interest in nature photography.  “My favorite setup is using a Canon 7D MKII equipped with a Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro lens with extension tubes and a macro ring flash for close up native plant photos or the Canon 100-400 mm f4.5 telephoto zoom lens for photographing native birds and wildlife.  I prefer the freedom of hand holding my camera/lens combination but there’s a lot to be said for using a steady tripod.  
I enjoy sharing my personal glimpses of our natural environment with others in hopes that they create a lasting impression that inspires others to visit and conserve nature.”
Tonight I would like to share my experiences in learning about the world of macro photography.
***
Ryan Sakamoto, “I am a self-taught advanced amateur fine art photographer, I’ve always been drawn to the sea, there’s something about her that’s always calls to me.  A majority of my work is based around the ocean whether shooting seascapes or personal projects.  Whenever I’m standing on the shoreline, I feel a sense of peace as I hear the heartbeat of the ocean as each wave wash onto the shore, it calms my soul.  I try to recreate that feeling in my seascape imagery.  I also love shooting environmental portraiture, I guess you call it a sub hoppy to my seascapes.” 
Title: Size Matters

No comments: